I Am My Father's Daughter
About Me
I Am My Father's Daughter

Growing up in a house full of girls, I unofficially took on the role as my father's only son. So when the time came to fix a leaky sink or change the oil in the family car, it was me that stood by my father's side. Thanks to him and everything he taught me, I am now able to take care of myself and my children in a way that not everyone can. I have tried over the years to engage my own daughter in the same way my father engaged me, but she's currently more interested in playing with dolls than fixing potholes. After my father passed away last year, I vowed to find a way to pass on everything he taught me, this blog is my way of keeping that promise. I truly hope that you learn as much as I have over the years.

I Am My Father's Daughter

4 Tips For Avoiding An Electrical Fire

Beatrice Reid

Electrical fires in a home can be devastating and deadly. They are one of the most common causes of a house fire, which is why it is so important to know how to avoid them. Here are four tips for doing that:

  1. Never Use Frayed Cords: Any cords you notice to be frayed or worn need to be replaced by a professional or the appliance it is attached to needs to be replaced altogether because it's usually an indication that the appliance is old anyway. A newer appliance that is up-to-date is sure to save on the electricity costs to run it anyway. Be sure that you inspect cords regularly and never mess with an appliance that has a frayed cord. Always get a professional to handle it. 
  2. Don't Pull Plugs Out: Too often people will pull the plugs out of the wall not realizing the danger and damage that it can cause. When you forcefully pull a plug out of the socket, it can damage the wiring of that electrical outlet. On top of this, it can lead to a short, which is the main cause of electrical fires in a home. Instead, gently remove it by pulling not by the cord, but by the plug without your fingers touching the connection. If you suspect you have a short it may be valuable to call a electrician
  3. Check the Wattage for Lights: Whenever you purchase a new light bulb for a light in your home, you need to be sure that you are purchasing the right wattage. If you purchase a light bulb that is not meant for the light you are installing it in, it can overwork the electrical connection, which is another common reason for electrical fires to be started in a home. 
  4. Be Extremely Cautious With Water: When it comes to using electrical appliances near water, you need to be extremely cautious. Never leave anything plugged in in the bathroom, especially if you have young children. You should also never use an electrical shaver when in the bath. Also, do not leave windows open when it's raining as the water can reach outlets in the wall that can spark and lead to an electrical fire. Yes, even water can trigger an electrical fire starting in a home. 

When you know these four tips, you can be sure that you know what dangers to spot and correct to ensure that you do not ever become the victim of a home electrical fire. 


Share